Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
MCU Home Search Contacts Study Events Site Map Thai/Eng
Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University

About University

Founder of the University

Historical Background

Philosophy / Commitment / Vision / Mission

Symbol / Map

Structure of the University

Structure of Administration

The University Council

The Academic Council

The Personnel Administration Committee

The Finance and Property Committee

The Policy Committee
 Historical Background
The Chronology of Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University

     On September 13, 1896, His Majesty King Chulalongkorn the great, raised the status of Mahathat Witthahayalai to that of a royal college, under the title of Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya (Mahachulalongkorn Royal College), aimed at providing Tipitaka studies, and higher education, not only for monks and novices, but also for laypeople.




     On January 9, 1947, the chief abbot of  Wat Mahathat, Phra Phimonlatham(Choi Thanadhatta thera), assembled fifty-seven senior monks of the Mahanikaya sect at Somdet’s residence of Wat Mahathat to draft a new curriculum featuring Buddhist studies along university lines, which survives, with modifications, to the present day. Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya regulation 1847 was in use.



     On July 18, 1947, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya opened a primary school and two years later, a secondary school. This was followed, in 1950 by the establishment of a faculty of Buddhist Studies at the undergraduate level.
     On May 16, 1969, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya under royal patronage was officially recognized by the Supreme Sangha Council as an educational institutional for the Thai Sangha, located at Wat Mahathat.
     On June 7, 1978, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya under royal patronage began regional expansion, by establishing a new campus in the Nong Khai province. By now, there are ten Campuses, along with seven Buddhist Colleges, severn Affiliated Institutes, ten Extended Classrooms and eighteen  Academic Service Units.





     On September 27, 1984, the Thai Government issued a royal decree to according Bachelor degrees awarded by Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya under royal patronage equal status to those awarded by state universities.




      On September 21, 1997, the National  Assembly of Thailand enacted a royal Act of Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University to the effect that the University should become a legal entity under the supervision of the state.

     On July 9, 1999, the Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University executive committee had an audience with His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn of Thailand. His Royal Highness granted to the University the title deeds to approximately thirty-three acres at Lam Sai sub-district, Ayutthaya province, that been donated by Dr. Ratsami and Khun Ying Sompong Wannisson.



     On December 13,1999, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn laid the foundation-stone of the new University main campus at Lam Sai sub-district, Wang Noi district, Ayutthaya province and during the following year, the construction of the new main campus was initiated by the Rector, Phra Dharmakosajarn (Prayoon Dhammacitto) and the executive connittee of the University. At present, due to acquisition of further land, the site consists of some one hundred and twenty-nine acres.



     On February 23, 2001, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University formed affiliation with several institutes, starting the Buddhist Dongguk Chonbob College in South Korea. At present, there are six overseas Affiliated Institutes of the University.



     On October 1, 2008, the University relocated from Wat Mahathat and Wat Si Sudaram to the new main campus at Lam Sai sub-district, Wang Noi district, Ayutthaya province.

     On December 3, 2010, opening ceremony of the University main campus is presided over by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, at Lam Sai sub-district, Wang Noi district, Ayutthaya province.


Copyright © Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University All rights reserved 
Maintained by: 
Last Update : Thursday February 9, 2012